Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Simple acts of Love - Meeting my husband at the door



For the last year and a half or so, I have been meeting my husband at the door every day when he gets home from work.

A little backstory: About a year and a half ago, I came across a 14 day Love and Respect marriage challenge and one of the challenges was to start meeting your husband at the door. I was a little, okay a lot skeptical of the whole thing, but God was doing a big work in my heart and I decided to give it a try. At first, my husband seemed a little baffled as he would open the door and find me and our dog waiting there for him, huge smile plastered on my face. I think he even made a little joke about it after a couple of days! But I kept on and I could definitely tell that it was something he enjoyed and so did I.

It’s now been over a year and half of meeting him at the door every day and I honestly can’t imagine it any other way! It’s one way I show my husband every day that I love and respect him.

Don’t we all want to feel special, loved, missed, and important? I know I do! And I want my husband to feel all of these things! It’s such a small gesture that makes such a big impact!

I challenge all the wives out there to give this simple act of love a try tonight! When your man gets home meet him at the door with a smile that says, “Welcome Home! I missed you and I am so happy to see you!” Then hug him. Really hug him. Like it’s urgent. Like it’s all you’ve been able to think about since you last saw him. I promise you will both love it! Then make it a habit!

(If you don’t get home before your husband is home, you can still do this! Just make greeting your husband your first priority when you walk in the door!)

The 14 day marriage challenge is also near and dear to my heart, because it is one of the things God used to open my eyes and my heart to biblical womanhood and I am so thankful! Check it out!

Today, I'm linking up to Marriage Mondays over at Come Have a Peace!

3 comments:

  1. (came over from Marriage Monday) VERY true. My husband and I have been through counseling and the therapist encouraged us to treat with HIGH value 3 times a day: the moment before he leaves for work, the moment he gets home from work, and the moment before you go to sleep. Confession: we fail miserably at most of these (further confession: we are currently not even living together due to job situation -- 8 more weeks!) but I do try to at least greet him as warmly as our lab does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - Great reminder about the other two times of day that are great opportunities for simple expressions of love! I feel for you having to be apart due to work! I know that is hard! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome example of how a single decision and pattern can change so much in our marriage. And what a beautiful picture of how God blesses when we do right. I'm so glad you shared it on Marriage Mondays today!

    Blessings,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete