Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Marriage Mondays - Try Again


About 2 years ago, my eyes were first opened to God's plan for marriage and biblical womanhood. I remember feeling so happy, so at peace so LIBERATED! Liberated because for the first time in my marriage, my mind and actions weren't in constant competition to the longing of my heart and spirit. Finally free of the chains this world tries so hard to put on women (in the name of liberation, no less), and I'm telling you friend from the bottom of my heart, I have never felt so free.

Even more encouraging, I was noticing my husband's positive reaction to the new me which only solidified even more in my heart that I was on the path of God's purpose in my marriage! I was on a roll, baby!

I rolled along pretty good for a couple of weeks I think, when it happened. My little Irish temper, or perhaps more accurately, my little human sin nature got the better of me and out slipped some of the most sarcastic, disrespectful words to ever roll off a tongue. I have to tell you I was flat out surprised.

After a little time of silence, (I'm sure you know the kind where you both go to your seperate corners just steaming mad) I finally swallowed my pride enough to apologize to my husband for my behavior. More importantly, I asked God's forgiveness and asked Him to help me to do better. I realized that this marriage stuff, like most things in life, is a process. It would be great if we could flip a switch and never be disrespectful ever again or never sin again, but we're human and unfortunately it just doesn't work that way.

But belonging to Christ means that we get up, dust ourselves off and try again. Because He loves us more than we will probably ever fully understand in this life.

There are going to be hard days, your husband is going to do things that annoy you, maybe sometimes he will do things that seem unloving and you may feel like giving up. Don't do it. Try again.  I promise you it is so worth it.

Today I am linking up with Marriage Mondays over at Come Have a Peace! If you'd like to read more posts about marriage click on the button below!

Love and Blessings!

Kristen

3 comments:

  1. Kristen,

    I'm visiting from Come Have a Peace. I loved your statement "But belonging to Christ means that we get up, dust ourselves off and try again. Because He loves us more than we will probably ever fully understand in this life." Marriage is a constant work in progress. We may mess up but God is there to help us build Godly Marriages.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary - So true! So glad we don't have to go it alone! Glad you stopped by! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linked over to your blog from Come Have a Peace. I really enjoy your writing and your words are so true. Try and try again!

    ReplyDelete